1,531 youth leaders in Cuba have received in-depth Jesus-Focused training!
15% of the 11 million people in Cuba are between the ages of 15-19. Well over 50% are 25 years of age or younger. Since 1959, ministry to the younger generation in Cuba has suffered from the constraints of Communism. Fifty years later, as the country begins to open to outside influences, we find a generation of teenagers raised in a godless society, defenseless to worldly pressures, yet very hungry to know God. In the past churches have lacked the tools to reach them, but now Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry is closing the leadership gap by offering vision, training, resources and coaching that is producing life-change and equipping life-changers.
Elio, Alexi, Abdiel, Pino, Gian Carlos, Pancho, David, and Darwin, for a total of 56 Eagle Leaders, lead Reach Out’s team in Cuba. Supported with quality resources in Spanish, these visionary leaders equip youth leaders who reach teenagers. God is raising up strong leaders for His youth movement in Cuba!
The call of Reach Out’s leaders is “Cuba for Christ!” Across the island Cuban young people are choosing to follow Jesus. Youth leaders desperately need training and resources to reach and disciple them. 300 leaders wait for training now. In 2016-2017, our Cuba team plans to:
- Equip 450 more younger generation leaders by conducting 15 more Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry Forums in various cities/provinces of Cuba.
- Provide in depth coaching for 100 leaders previously trained in Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry who implement JFYM in 85 churches.
- Certify and mobilize 40 more Eagle Leaders to equip and mentor other leaders in Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry.
- Translate the 3 books in the Building Leaders Series.
- Print and distribute 4 books of the Moving Toward Maturity Series, Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry Notebook, and Jesus No Equal book and journal.
As a result, the Cuban churches Reach Out trains will continue to bear fruit through well-equipped, multiplying leaders who reach and disciple the younger generation.
Reach Out’s History in Cuba
In 2003 Reach Out’s first team went to Cuba. We introduced 350 youth leaders to Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry in Santiago and Havana. The response proved overwhelmingly positive.
Since 2004 Reach Out has built a strong team of leaders who carry out the Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry training.
In 2010 these Eagle Leaders conducted six JFYM Forums for over 80 youth leaders throughout Cuba.
In 2011-2012 Reach Out’s Cuba team of 25 Eagle Leaders led 11 JFYM Forums in various provinces of Cuba in which 135 youth leaders were trained in JFYM. Nine more Cuban Eagle Leaders were certified to equip and mentor youth leaders bringing the total to 34 EL's. Reach Out produced and distributed five new Spanish resources, led an Eagle Leader Experience to encourage, equip, pray and plan, and developed a one-year coaching process to assist churches with more in-depth implementation of JFYM.
In 2013 the Reach Out team in Cuba led 20 JFYM Forums in various provinces across Cuba. 16 more Cuban Eagle Leaders were certified to equip and mentor youth leaders in JFYM. An Eagle Leader Experience was conducted with 28 Eagle Leaders in attendance to pray and plan for 2013-2014. Following Jesus from the Moving Toward Maturity Series was translated and produced into Spanish. 500 copies of Jesus No Equal were distributed to students.
In 2014 the Reach Out team in Cuba led 17 JFYM Forums in various provinces across Cuba, establishing 12 model churches as training extensions. They certified 10 more Cuban Eagle Leaders to equip and mentor youth leaders in JFYM, and conducted an Eagle Leader Experience to equip, pray, and plan for 2014-2015. The team translated into Spanish and produced 2 Moving Toward Maturity Series books: Following Jesus and Spending Time Alone with God.
In 2015, our Cuba team:
- Equipped 750 more younger generation leaders by conducting 24 more Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry Forums in various provinces of Cuba.
- Provided in depth coaching for 80 leaders previously trained in Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry who implement JFYM in 55 churches.
- Certified and mobilized 20 more Eagle Leaders to equip and mentor other leaders in Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry.
- Finished translating the final 3 Moving Toward Maturity Series youth discipleship books, as well as printed and distributed 5 other previously translated Reach Out resources.