Over 5,000 youth leaders trained in Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry…570,000 students engaged with the Gospel in their schools.
In East Africa 75% of the population is under age 25. Many young people have lost their parents to HIV/AIDS, and others engage in sex, drinking, pornography, and drugs. Spiritually, many are turning to the occult, animism, and eastern religions with Islam as a looming threat. Yet teenagers are receptive to the Gospel. Youth leaders can go into the schools to speak about Jesus. However because most lack training, churches miss many opportunities. East Africa’s only hope: to reach and disciple the younger generation!
Charles Juma, a native Kenyan and veteran youth minister, along with 392 Eagle Leaders*, lead Reach Out’s East Africa ministry in thirteen countries: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Southern Sudan, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, and Zimbabwe.
*Eagle Leaders implement Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry, and then mentor others to do the same. Through this process Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry multiplies.
In 2016-2017, Reach Out Youth Solutions will continue to equip and multiply leaders in Eastern, Northern, and Central Africa who will influence the younger generation to follow Jesus. Seven goals will accomplish this purpose.
- Equip 1,200 new youth leaders in Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry (JFYM) from 13 countries of East, Central, and some Northern African countries--Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Southern Sudan, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Zanzibar, and Zimbabwe.
- Conduct 42 JFYM Forums led by some of our 340 Eagle Leaders.
- Provide ongoing training for the 5,115 leaders already equipped, and certify 50 new Eagle Leaders* who will mentor others through Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry.
- Increase the number of Eagle Leaders who attend the Summit from 100-150 in order to encourage and equip our Eagle Leaders in more countries.
- Develop country leaders and country teams through our Eagle Leaders in at least 5 countries with the view toward those teams leading all of the training in their own countries, and eventually becoming fully functional and self-multiplying.
- Mobilize our Eagle Leaders to go into public schools, where they have free access, to communicate the Gospel to 80,000+ students each summer.
- Explore Lesotho, Mauritius, and Botswana with the goal of offering JFYM training beginning in 2017.
*Eagle Leaders implement Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry and then mentor others to do the same. Through this process Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry multiplies.
Reach Out’s History in East Africa:
Charles Juma, a native Kenyan and veteran youth leader, leads Reach Out's Africa ministry.
In 2005 Charles introduced the JFYM strategy to key Kenyan youth leaders in Nairobi.
In 2006-2008, Charles coached those leaders to implement JFYM in their churches. All 15 became Eagle Leaders and led JFYM Forums in other parts of Kenya, and in four cities in Tanzania. Most Forum participants implemented JFYM.
In 2009-2010, Reach Out conducted JFYM training in all previous places, and expanded into 7 nations. We trained 700 youth leaders with 70% implementing JFYM. We certified 108 Eagle Leaders. In these 2 years Eagle Leaders shared the gospel in schools with 210,000 students, with 30%-50% beginning to follow Jesus.
In 2011-2012, Reach Out expanded into 10 countries--Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Southern Sudan, Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique, and then added three more--Ethiopia, Zanzibar, and Zimbabwe. We conducted 40 JFYM Forums, with 1,400 new leaders trained and 82 new Eagle Leaders certified--190 Eagle Leaders total. These Eagle Leaders shared the gospel in schools with 160,000 students, 30%-50% responding to Jesus.
In 2013-2014, we conducted 63 JFYM Forums in 13 nations, training 1,800 youth leaders. 102 became Eagle Leader certified, unleashing 292 Eagle Leaders to multiply JFYM. 160,000 teenagers heard the gospel, and 80,000 decided to follow Jesus. We conducted our first Eagle Leader Summit as a slight strategy shift to go deeper with our Eagle Leaders, and to achieve more critical mass in each country. 20 then 30 top Kenyan Eagle Leaders gathered to share struggles and successes, and to receive encouragement, equipping, and prayer.
In 2015 Reach Out has increased our focus on going deeper in each country.
- 1,200 leaders were trained in 40 JFYM Forums conducted in 13 nations.
- 50 youth leaders completed the Eagle Leader Certification, unleashing 342 total to multiply JFYM.
- The Eagle Leaders Summit grew to 100 in 2015--a key factor in spreading JFYM in each country with increased vision and training.
- A long teacher's strike postponed our 2015 school ministry. So we will conduct two school ministries in 2016.
East Africa Ministry Updates